Friday, August 31, 2007

Mrs. Giardino Passed Away

August 27 2007

My Mother passed away early Monday morning on August 27th. I never made it home in time to hold her hand while she still had life left in her. I have loved her while she was alive and I have to come to terms that it was not meant to be for me to spend the last few moments of her life with her. In fact died alone and I will have to live with that guilt.

Rose

I am deeply sorry your Mom passed away, I’ve come to terms with death as a chapter of life, though to the living it seems final, it may be but a passage, and maybe there, in that unknown dimension there is renewal.
Strange, I also was not with her when my mother passed away… I share your feelings and dark emotions…

How do I remember Mrs.Giardino? It was 1957; we met on a cold winter’s Winnipeg day, at the Holy Rosary Church. Her camaraderie was a burst of fireworks, as if we had known each other a lifetime and more… Outlandishly aggressive in her offer of Calabrese friendship, strong-willed with an independent trait she would always get her way. Her four children were her jewels. She baked her own bread… with roasted eggplant dipped in virgin olive oil…



Like many of her era, "Sina" grew up knowing the many hardships including the loss of her son at an early age. Working long hours over the stove or at her sewing machine, knitting, crocheting anything that would keep her hands busy. This contributed to creating a woman who understood the value of a dollar and hard work. A woman who had the fortitude to stick things out when life got tough and who appreciated the many gifts of life. The gifts she treasured the most were her grandchildren. Mom loved to be in the company of her family and friends and they in turn enjoyed her spirit, her smile and her kind heart. In later years when physical activities became somewhat of a challenge she took that on too - never giving up


©2007-Rose Lyman

No comments: